Isn’t it interesting that while sitting down to compose a soul-changing resolution list, something motivating and poetic geared toward personal peace and happiness, my first entry always begins with the word “Lose…” and usually ends with the word “…pounds”?
I tried this year. I have been wracking my brain for new and improved ways to improve my life, my mothering, my marriage, my home. Upon closer examination it appears that my soul could use a lot of work.
Unfortunately I’m way too wrapped up in my waistline to give my soul top billing.
When I put fingers to keyboard in my yearly attempt at self-betterment this morning, totally intending to focus on the big M’s (mothering, marriage), the only M’s I could think about were the peanut butter ones sitting in the bowl next to me.
“Lose ten pounds” was first on my list. I suppose that wherever #1 on your resolution list is, there your heart is also. Mine is in the candy bowl.
And my obsession isn’t even well-earned. I’ve got two kids and at least half my jeans fit, both my legs work (when walking), nothing wrong with my arms, and I’ve got a collection of shoes guaranteed to keep the word “drab” out of my vocabulary. I’m doing fine, why worry?
Because I can’t let go of those last ten pounds; usually six pounds but Christmas was kind of tasty this year.
But oh that is going to change. Tomorrow. Tomorrow it will change.
This morning I woke up de-ter-mined to rid my life of toxins like sugar and…well, sugar. The stuff is killing me. Three weeks of reckless abandon has cost me five pounds in the wrong direction. Five pounds! I can’t remember the last time the holidays did that to me.
I had a Sloppy Joe for dinner the night before, avoided the cinnamon rolls, left-over queso dip, chips, soda and bowl of candy, then made the mistake of running off to church the next morning at 9:00 without eating breakfast.
Note to self: remember breakfast.
By the time we pulled in the door at 12:45 I was ready to eat Aaron’s tie. I ran to the kitchen, held the medium bag of M&M’s up to my mouth and poured them down my gullet as fast as my little throat could swallow them.
Tomorrow I’m trying again. Rule #1 of dieting: Do. Not. Get. Hungry.
1 comment:
Anne - you're so good! I'm all about just having the goal!! I too am doing (trying as hard as I can) no sugar! Why on earth is that stuff so addictive, I've been battling off massive headaches for the past two days, all the while reminding myself that it has to get worse before it will get better. All I can say is, YOU CAN DO IT! And yes, eating breakfast is a definite helper! :)
Post a Comment