4.07.2010

Downloading Music

To be honest, I'm not sure that I really ever had an opinion about illegally downloading music. I guess I have just always believed that if something doesn't belong to you, don't take it.

Times have changed in terms of technology over the years and some of it, I believe, isn't even for the better. I still remember the days of going into a CD shop (Sam Goody) and buying what you want right off the shelf. Now, CD sales have declined because of the accessiblility from the Internet. Do I feel that just because it's available it's okay to take it? Of course not. Stealing is stealing whether it's an illegal download or putting a CD in your purse before exiting the store.

After the piracy debate on Monday I had a chance to look at things a little differently than I had before. A comment was brought up that whether music is stolen via a download or otherwise, that any exposure for an artist is good exposure. The amount of blood, sweat and tears put into producing a successful album with little to no profit, doesn't amount to much. If someone wants their name to get out, they will take what they can get. Even if this means not being compensated fully for it. It's important to note that just because I have brought up this point it doesn't change my opinion. I stand by my earlier convictions, however I feel it necessary to point out both sides of the case.

Do I believe that illegal downloading will cease in the near future as the laws become more stringent? Probably not. Although there is the hope that more and more people will recognize the error of their ways and maybe even think twice before taking something from someone again.

5 comments:

jewels said...

That's why I love itunes, I can buy the songs that I want. The artist gets there cut but if I don't want the whole c.d. I can just buy the song I want.

anne medford said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anne medford said...

So funny, Julie! I actually had to post this for some extra credit in one of my classes. The requirement was to post it on my blog. Guess I should have specified that before hand. Oh well, at least I believe in what I wrote. It just looks very random!

Jeremy said...

Great post. Any post that mentions Sam Goody is worth reading. But since I'm a smart "A" and you're OCD I feel it my obligation to play this game with you. It's important for you to know that I will reward you with two dollars if you can win. I need you to find the word that doesn't fit in the third paragraph. And then I need you to call your other brother and ask him about his latest addition to facebook. I love you. Jeremy Morris. PS, that belt WAS from GAP!

Jeremy said...

PPS, Heidi thinks Crandall Audio would have been the more appropriate name drop.