9.30.2011

mama bear

Johnny came home from school the other day talking frantically and loudly about his day. Suddenly I look over at Jackson and ask, "How was your day, buddy?" With tears in his eyes he replies, "I got made fun of today."

Talk about a sock right to the gut! I do believe that this is every mother's worst nightmare. I realize that he's not as outgoing as his little brother, but he has the biggest heart of anyone I know.

I gently wrapped my arms around him as I listened to the reason for this unpleasant encounter. Since he isn't usually good at opening right up, I realized I would have to press him for further details.

The more he talks, the more I feel like bulldozing my way into the school and telling these boys just what I think of them. It's one thing to think something, but acting on it is a totally different ball game.

Since it isn't reasonable to think that I can keep him under my constant supervision for the rest of his life, I guess it's time to teach him how to stand up for himself in this crazy world.

After a long talk with his dad, they were able to make a little head way and set forth a plan of action. As we said prayers that night, he prayed for the boys at school - that wasn't the surprising part - he prayed for them to know he had forgiven them; I nearly cried.

I realized right then that he no longer needed my constant supervision. All this time I thought I was teaching him. In reality, he was in fact, teaching me.

Lesson learned.

1 comment:

Myrna said...

Lesson learned for this Mama Bear too.